Jim McCullen is a partner at ABC Law Centers (Reiter & Walsh, P.C.). He joined the team in 2020 with 19 years of birth injury experience.
Jim began his law career defending hospitals as a member of a birth trauma team in a large firm. He worked on numerous hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) and birth injury cases while at this firm. Jim first joined forces with ABC Law Centers owner and founder Jesse Reiter in 2005 at Gregory & Reiter, P.C., where he continued to work on birth injury and obstetrical malpractice claims. In 2007, Jim went back to defense work, and afterward began his own firm, which he kept for five years. During this time, Jim continued to take on birth trauma cases and felt a strong pull to return to serving children in need.
Jim has extensive experience in reading fetal monitor tracings and prosecuting birth injury and HIE cases. His passion lies in the detailed research and preparation, consulting and deposing medical expert witnesses, and the cause of serving children in need that comes with birth injury law.
His dedication is apparent in the work he has done for his clients. He has been instrumental in securing millions of dollars in birth trauma cases over the years.
Outside of the office, Jim is a devoted husband to his wife, a neonatal nurse practitioner. He is also a committed father of two. He loves being involved with his kids’ sports and activities.
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctorate
- Wayne State University, Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with post-graduate work in English Literature
- Admitted to practice in Michigan
- Admitted to practice in Eastern District of Michigan
- Admitted to practice in Western District of Michigan
- Birth trauma litigation group
- Selected to “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers, 2011
- Recipient, David Martin Memorial Award for Excellence in Tort Law, 1999
- February 2021: Co-Author, “Did the ACOG 2014 Consensus Recommendations on Labor Management Achieve Anything?” Birth Trauma Litigation Group Journal.
- September 2004: Life Expectancy in the Cerebral Palsy Patient: Using the Grossman, Plioplys and Strauss studies to Cross-Examine plaintiff experts. Presented at The Kitch Law Firm.
- December 2009 and April 2011: Medical Record Documentation: How to Elude the Scrutinizing Eye of Plaintiff’s Counsel. Presented at St. John Hospital and Medical Center and Munson Medical Center.
- June 2011: HIPAA and the new HITECH Security Provisions: New Security Regulations, Breach Notice Requirements, and Increased Penalties for Accountants and other Business Associates. Presented at Traverse City CPA-Law Forum.