Frequently Asked Birth Injury Questions
Answers to Your Questions on Birth Injury, Pregnancy, Disability, and Birth Trauma Law
There are many uncertainties for families coping with the diagnosis of cerebral palsy, developmental disabilities, hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), and other serious conditions caused by birth injuries. Educating yourself and family members on the diagnosis, resources available, and options for securing your child’s future is critical. To help you get started, here are some answers to frequently asked questions about birth injuries and birth injury lawsuits.
- Why does my baby's head look misshapen?
- What is periventricular leukomalacia (PVL)?
- What are the treatments and therapies for pediatric brain injuries?
- How is neonatal brain damage prevented?
- What are the long-term effects of neonatal brain injury?
- How can lasting damage be prevented right after birth asphyxia occurs?
- What causes birth injuries?
- What is a normal Apgar score?
- What is a normal umbilical cord blood gas level?
- What does it mean when the doctor says my baby has a brain injury?
- What are birth injuries?
Birth Injury Lawsuits
- I had prenatal care at a federally-funded clinic/community health clinic and my child had a birth injury. Can I pursue a case?
- My baby had a birth injury at a military hospital. Can I pursue a case?
- How can a birth injury attorney help my child and our family?
- I remember signing a consent form. Does that mean I have no basis for a lawsuit?
- How much will it cost me to file a birth injury lawsuit?
- How do I choose the right birth injury lawyer for my case?
- What experts are consulted during a birth injury case?
- How long does a birth injury case take? What is the process?
- Why should I choose Jesse Reiter to be my birth injury attorney?
Brain Bleeds (Hemorrhages)
- What is a cephalohematoma?
- How does intraventricular hemorrhage (brain bleed) relate to HIE?
- What are the causes of newborn brain injuries?
- My baby had a brain hemorrhage. Is it possible my physician made an error?
- What are the long-term effects of brain hemorrhages?
- How are brain bleeds (intracranial hemorrhages) treated?
- How are brain bleeds (hemorrhages) diagnosed?
- What types of brain bleeds are there? What causes each type of brain bleed?
- Does a vaginal birth after C-section (VBAC) increase the baby's risk for cerebral palsy?
- Can a delayed C-section cause brain damage and hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- Can I have a vaginal birth after a C-section (VBAC)?
- Can my baby's heart rate by monitored during a C-section?
- What is a C-section? When are C-sections performed?
- How do baclofen pumps help people with cerebral palsy?
- Can Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) Help My Child's Cerebral Palsy?
- Do all children with brain damage have cerebral palsy?
- What's the relationship between hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) and cerebral palsy?
- How does cerebral palsy impact a child's development?
- Does cerebral palsy affect lifespan?
- How is cerebral palsy diagnosed?
- Is cerebral palsy preventable?
- What is cerebral palsy?
- How can a cerebral palsy attorney help me?
Cerebral Palsy - Causes
- Can sepsis and meningitis cause cerebral palsy?
- What causes cerebral palsy?
- What causes spastic cerebral palsy (CP)? Can medical negligence play a role?
- Can jaundice (high bilirubin levels) cause kernicterus and cerebral palsy?
- My baby was born prematurely. Could this cause cerebral palsy?
- Can a delayed C-section cause cerebral palsy?
Cerebral Palsy - Signs and Diagnosis
Cerebral Palsy - Treatment & Therapy
- How are Botox injections used to treat spastic cerebral palsy?
- What medication is prescribed for cerebral palsy?
- Can yoga and bodywork help my child's cerebral palsy?
- Can an adeli suit help my child's cerebral palsy?
- Can SDR (selective dorsal rhizotomy) help my child's cerebral palsy?
- Can a ketogenic diet help my child's cerebral palsy?
- What is an osteotomy, and how can osteotomies improve cerebral palsy?
- How do hip muscle releases help people with cerebral palsy?
- How can stem cell therapy help my child's cerebral palsy?
- How can therapeutic electrical stimulation (TES) help my child's cerebral palsy?
- How can occupational therapy help my child's cerebral palsy?
- How can physical therapy help my child's cerebral palsy?
- What are the treatments and therapies for spastic cerebral palsy?
Erb's Palsy, Shoulder Dystocia, Brachial Plexus Injuries
Forceps & Vacuum Extractor Injuries
- Can forceps cause birth injuries?
- Are birth injuries caused by vacuum extraction delivery noticeable right away?
- Can I file a birth injury lawsuit if my child was injured due to a vacuum extractor birth?
- What are the alternatives to vacuum extraction delivery?
- What are the risks associated with vacuum extraction delivery?
- What is a vacuum extraction (suction) delivery and can it cause birth injuries?
- Why do physicians use forceps and vacuum extractors?
High Risk Pregnancy
Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
- What criteria do doctors use to decide whether my baby should get hypothermia therapy?
- What are the long-term effects of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- What is hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)? How is HIE treated?
- How does fetal heart rate monitoring relate to HIE?
- Can labor drugs such as Pitocin & Cytotec cause hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- Can hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) cause brain damage without causing cerebral palsy?
Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy: Causes
- How do babies breathe in the womb, and how do they become oxygen-deprived?
- Can a delayed C-section cause hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- Can placenta previa cause hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- My uterus ruptured during labor and my baby suffered HIE. Could this be the result of medical malpractice?
- Was my child's hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) caused by medical malpractice?
- What causes hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy: Signs & Diagnosis
Infection During Pregnancy
- What are UTIs (urinary tract infections) and BV (bacterial vaginosis)? How are they treated? What impact do they have on a baby?
- Can a urinary tract infection (UTI) or bacterial vaginosis (BV) during pregnancy cause a baby to be born prematurely & have cerebral palsy?
- If I have an infection such as GBS during pregnancy could this cause my baby to have sepsis, meningitis & birth injuries such as cerebral palsy?
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Premature Rupture of the Membranes (PROM)
Prenatal Care and Testing
- What is an amniotomy?
- What tests should my doctor perform during pregnancy?
- What Signs Indicate My Baby Is In Distress? How Is Fetal Distress Treated?
- How should I choose an obstetrician for my pregnancy and delivery?
- What is a high-risk pregnancy? Could medical mistakes have caused my baby's birth injuries?