Frequently Asked Birth Injury Questions
Answers to Your Questions on Birth Injury, Pregnancy, Disability, and Birth Trauma Law
There are many uncertainties for families coping with the diagnosis of cerebral palsy, developmental disabilities, hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), and other serious conditions caused by birth injuries. Educating yourself and family members on the diagnosis, resources available, and options for securing your child’s future is critical. To help you get started, here are some answers to frequently asked questions about birth injuries and birth injury lawsuits.
- Why does my baby’s head look misshapen?
- What is periventricular leukomalacia (PVL)?
- What are the treatments and therapies for pediatric brain injuries?
- How is neonatal brain damage prevented?
- What are the long-term effects of neonatal brain injury?
- How can lasting damage be prevented right after birth asphyxia occurs?
- What Causes Birth Injuries?
- What is a normal umbilical cord blood gas level?
- What does it mean when the doctor says my baby has a brain injury?
- What are birth injuries?
Birth Injury Lawsuits
- How do I obtain my medical records following childbirth?
- What is standard of care?
- What is informed consent?
- I had prenatal care at a federally-funded clinic/community health clinic and my child had a birth injury. Can I pursue a case?
- My baby had a birth injury at a military hospital. Can I pursue a case?
- How can a birth injury attorney help my child and our family?
- I remember signing a consent form. Does that mean I have no basis for a lawsuit?
- How much will it cost me to file a birth injury lawsuit?
- How do I choose the right birth injury lawyer?
- What experts are consulted during a birth injury case?
- How long does a birth injury case last?
- Why should I choose Jesse Reiter to be my birth injury attorney?
Brain Bleeds (Hemorrhages)
- What is a cephalohematoma?
- How does intraventricular hemorrhage (brain bleed) relate to HIE?
- What are the causes of newborn brain injuries?
- My baby had a brain hemorrhage. Is it possible my physician made an error?
- What are the long-term effects of a brain bleed?
- How are brain bleeds (intracranial hemorrhages) treated?
- How are brain bleeds (hemorrhages) diagnosed?
- What types of brain bleeds are there? What causes each type of brain bleed?
- Do all children with brain damage have cerebral palsy?
- What’s the relationship between hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) and cerebral palsy?
- How does cerebral palsy impact a child’s development?
- Does cerebral palsy affect lifespan?
- Is cerebral palsy preventable?
- What is cerebral palsy?
- How can a cerebral palsy attorney help me?
Cerebral Palsy - Causes
- Can sepsis and meningitis cause cerebral palsy?
- What causes cerebral palsy in children?
- What Causes Spastic Cerebral Palsy (CP)? Can Medical Negligence Play a Role?
- Can jaundice cause kernicterus and cerebral palsy?
- My baby was born prematurely, and my doctor didn’t try to stop the labor. Could this be malpractice?
- Can a delayed C-section cause cerebral palsy?
Cerebral Palsy - Signs and Diagnosis
Cerebral Palsy - Treatment & Therapy
- How are Botox injections used to treat spastic cerebral palsy?
- What medication is prescribed for cerebral palsy?
- Can yoga and bodywork help my child's cerebral palsy?
- Can SDR (selective dorsal rhizotomy) help my child's cerebral palsy?
- Can a ketogenic diet help my child's cerebral palsy?
- What is an osteotomy?
- How can muscle/tendon release surgery help children with cerebral palsy?
- How can stem cell therapy help my child's cerebral palsy?
- How can therapeutic electrical stimulation (TES) help my child's cerebral palsy?
- How can occupational therapy help my child’s cerebral palsy?
- How can physical therapy help my child's cerebral palsy?
- What are the treatments and therapies for spastic cerebral palsy?
Erb's Palsy, Shoulder Dystocia, Brachial Plexus Injuries
Forceps & Vacuum Extractor Injuries
- Can forceps cause birth injuries?
- Are vacuum extraction injuries noticeable right away?
- Can I file a birth injury lawsuit if my child was injured due to a vacuum extractor?
- What happens if a vacuum extraction doesn’t work?
- What are the risks associated with vacuum extraction delivery?
- What is a vacuum extraction (suction) delivery and can it cause birth injuries?
- When do physicians use forceps and vacuum extractors?
High Risk Pregnancy
Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
- What is anoxic brain injury?
- What are the long-term effects of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- How is hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) treated?
- Can improper fetal heart rate monitoring result in hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- Can labor drugs such as Pitocin and Cytotec cause hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- Can hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) cause brain damage without causing cerebral palsy?
Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy: Causes
- How do babies breathe in the womb, and how do they become oxygen-deprived?
- Can placenta previa cause hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- My uterus ruptured and my baby suffered HIE. Could this be the result of medical malpractice?
- What caused my child’s hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
- What causes hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?