Atlanta Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) Attorneys
Was your child diagnosed with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) in the Atlanta, Georgia area? Did you know that this condition is often caused by medical malpractice around the time of birth, and that your child may be entitled to compensation? Read on to learn more about HIE, birth injury lawsuits, and how to find legal help for a case that occurred in Atlanta.
What is hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)?
HIE is a type of brain damage caused by a lack of oxygenated blood flow to the brain. It is often caused by a birth injury, i.e. any type of harm to a baby that occurs during or near the time of birth. When a birth injury cuts off the flow of oxygenated blood, a baby is said to have experienced birth asphyxia, and this can quickly lead to HIE.
The following medical errors and complications can result in birth asphyxia, HIE, and other birth injuries (1):
- Abnormal fetal position/presentation
- Birth trauma
- Brain bleeds (intracranial hemorrhages)
- C-section errors and delays/failure to timely deliver
- Forceps and vacuum extractor injuries
- Low birth weight
- Maternal infections
- Meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS)
- Mismanaged fetal distress (or failure to provide proper fetal monitoring)
- Mismanaged high-risk pregnancy (or failure to diagnose a high-risk pregnancy)
- Periventricular leukomalacia (PVL)
- Placental abruption
- Premature birth
- Prolonged and arrested labor
- Twin or multiples pregnancy
- Umbilical cord problems
- Uterine tachysystole/hyperstimulation
- Uterine rupture
Unfortunately, these issues often stem from acts of negligence. If a medical professional or organization’s negligence results in permanent damage, it constitutes medical malpractice (2).
Why pursue a birth injury lawsuit for a child with HIE?
There are two primary reasons why parents may choose to pursue a birth injury lawsuit on behalf of a child with HIE.
First, doing so can help them obtain justice for their child, and ensure that the negligent party does not repeat their mistakes and cause harm to other babies.
Second, a birth injury lawsuit can help families obtain compensation in the form of a settlement or verdict. This can offer them the means to provide the very best for their child.
Children with HIE often go on to develop permanent disabilities such as intellectual/developmental disorders, cerebral palsy (CP), vision and hearing impairments, or epilepsy (1). These conditions often require extensive treatment and therapy, surgeries, adaptive technology (such as motorized wheelchairs), and around-the-clock care. These costs can quickly add up, and unfortunately, insurance may not be enough to cover them. Getting a settlement or verdict can provide parents with peace of mind and financial security.
ABC Law Centers: legal help for HIE cases in Atlanta, Georgia
The team at ABC Law Centers focuses exclusively on advocating for children with HIE and other birth injuries, and we have both the legal and medical knowledge necessary to win these complex cases. Although our office is based in Michigan, senior attorney Rebecca Walsh is licensed to practice in Atlanta and throughout the state of Georgia. Rebecca has been practicing law since 1992, and has won many awards for her work advocating for children with birth injuries. Rebecca spends a great deal of time getting to know each child and family she works for and fights hard to ensure that her clients receive access to the resources they need for a secure, healthy future and good quality of life.
Please contact us today to learn more about our firm, the legal process, and whether you may have a case. We have numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements that attest to our success, and you pay nothing until we win.
Free Case Review | Available 24/7 | No Fee Until We Win
Phone (toll-free): 866-746-1519
Press the Live Chat button on your browser
Complete Our Online Contact Form
More about our firm and birth injury lawsuits
- About ABC Law Centers
- Meet Our Birth Injury Attorneys
- The Client Intake Process
- The Legal Process
- Misperceptions About Birth Injuries and Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
- How Do I Choose the Right Birth Injury Lawyer for My Case?
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): Legal Help for Birth Injuries. (n.d.). Retrieved January 20, 2020, from https://www.abclawcenters.com/practice-areas/prenatal-birth-injuries/fetus-or-newborn-medical-problems/hypoxic-ischemic-encephalopathy/
- The History of Medical Malpractice Law: An Overview. (n.d.). Retrieved January 20, 2020, from https://www.abclawcenters.com/resources/medical-malpractice-overview/