Cerebral Palsy: A Guide | Ohio Cerebral Palsy Attorneys

Serving Cincinnati, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Toledo, Sandusky, Bowling Green, Parma and Lorain, and all other Ohio Cities

At Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers, we understand that finding resources for cerebral palsy can be difficult. We aim to help parents find resources and information to help make sure their child is cared for and has the resources they need – no matter what. One of the hardest things to do is knowing where to start, so we’ve compiled a shortlist of key resources that parents of children with cerebral palsy may find useful when it comes to the search for resources.

What is cerebral palsy?

Cerebral palsy is a diagnosis with varying levels of severity. At its core, the diagnosis means that a person has an injury that impacts their muscles and movement. By itself, a cerebral palsy diagnosis does not mean that a person has a cognitive impairment, but intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) are often concurrent diagnoses with cerebral palsy, which means that the two diagnoses often occur together. While in some cases, cerebral palsy is not associated with medical malpractice, in many cases, there can be a link between the care that mothers received during pregnancy, labor and delivery and cerebral palsy.

What causes cerebral palsy?

Because cerebral palsy is a brain injury that can occur during gestation or during labor and delivery, the causes of the diagnosis can be many and varied. In many cases, however, the cause of cerebral palsy is a lack of oxygen to the brain, which in turn damages the part of the brain responsible for movement and motor skills. This damage can be caused or exacerbated by:

How can cerebral palsy be prevented?

Cerebral palsy is strongly associated with medical malpractice, meaning that often, cerebral palsy can be caused by a medical staffer’s mistake. In medical settings, there are certain things that medical practitioners should be doing in given situations – these are distilled into guidelines collectively called ‘standards of care.’ Preventing medical mistakes involves following these standards when a doctor is providing care. If they deviate from the standards of care and cause an injury, that is called medical malpractice. The prevention of cerebral palsy stemming from medical errors involves a combination of good communication, proper training and accountable medical systems.

How do I get legal help to pay for my child’s cerebral palsy care?

Birth Injury Attorneys | Reiter & Walsh, PC | HIE, Birth Asphyxia, Cerebral Palsy, Birth Injury AttorneysIf your child’s development isn’t progressing typically and you’re concerned that medical malpractice may have been involved, please contact the Ohio cerebral palsy attorneys at ABC Law Centers. Our firm is solely dedicated to helping parents with birth injuries secure their child’s futures. Unlike other firms, we focus on 100% birth injury, unlike other firms, who deal with slip-and-fall injuries, car accidents, medical device malfunctions and other injuries not related to birth. Because birth injuries are so complex and require the use of multiple specialists and experts, it’s extremely important that you call a firm dedicated solely to birth injuries. Ohio cerebral palsy attorney Jesse Reiter is admitted to practice in Ohio and in the Ohio Supreme Court.

We have a history of numerous multi-million dollar birth injury verdicts and settlements, and our attorneys have won many awards for their outstanding work. We can provide you with a free and confidential case evaluation and explain your legal options. If you decide you would like to pursue legal options for securing your child’s future, we can go through the possibilities and help bring you peace of mind, knowing your child will be cared for – no matter what.

Free Case Review  |  Available 24/7  |  No Fee Until We Win

Call our toll-free phone line at 888-419-2229
Press the Live Chat button on your browser
Complete Our Online Contact Form

Non-Legal Cerebral Palsy Resources

Knowing where to start looking can be hard when it comes to cerebral palsy and/or disability resources. There is no one central database of disability resources, and resource availability can vary widely state-to-state.

To help parents of kids with cerebral palsy begin their search for information, the cerebral palsy attorneys at ABC Law Centers have provided a short list of potential resources that the parents of children with cerebral palsy may find useful. While this list is by no means comprehensive, we hope it will shed light on some of the organizations in your area that may help provide information and services for helping care for your child.

It is also worth noting that certain national organizations (like the Arc, the United Way, and United Cerebral Palsy) have many local and state divisions. These groups provide a wide variety of different programs (ranging from educational to employment-related to financial).We encourage parents to check out these groups, as they often are one of the best ways of finding services in a particular geographic area.

Additionally, one of the most effective ways to find local resources is to contact your city, county or regional Department of Health or Department of Human Services. Often, these departments have comprehensive service lists and trained staff who can assist in finding help specific to your child’s needs.

How do I get financial or medical help for my child with cerebral palsy in Ohio?

Governmental Organizations for Disabilities in Ohio

Cerebral palsy and other birth injuries are disabilities. Each state has offices that can assist individuals with disabilities in securing different resources. These offices can help with questions about disability income (SSI/SSDI), disability employment, and medical care. Related programs include:

Medical/Rehabilitative Assistance Programs for Disabilities in Ohio

Most major research teaching hospitals will have medical and follow-up programs for individuals with cerebral palsy and/or other disabilities. Many also have developmental clinics that screen children for developmental delays and refer families to specialists for services. These include:

Nonprofit Organizations for Disabilities in Ohio

Ohio has numerous nonprofits that focus on providing disability services to Ohio residents, which can often point parents to the specific resources they need:

The state also has several developmental centers that can provide residential comprehensive care for individuals who require more supports, as well as programs that provide supports for individuals who live in community-based centers. These DCs are listed on the Department of Developmental Disabilities’ (DODD’s) website.

How can I get my child educational help or early intervention in Ohio?

There are many programs available to help develop children with disabilities achieve their potential. Programs are available for many ages, ranging from infancy to adulthood. Depending on your child’s age and needs, the services you may search for may differ. Resources for specific disabilities can be found on the Ohio Department of Education’s site on special education. For example:

  • For children 0-3, Early Intervention services result in the creation of an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) that can help your child transition to a school environment. These are often called either Zero to Three or Help Me Grow.
  • For older children, Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) are made in conjunction with the student’s teachers, psychologists, and other school staff to help maximize the child’s abilities in an academic setting. Most IEP-related services are provided through a child’s local school district.
  • For adult children or those who are about to transition into adulthood, there are programs that can help maximize independence or learn pre-employment skills. For those about to transition into adult life, these are often provided by their school districts. For those who require additional support, other programs that focus on community integration, life skills development and socialization are available through day programs, community-based programs and residential communities. These include:

Where can I find housing resources for individuals with cerebral palsy in Ohio?

Accessible housing resources can be found through a combination of public and private resources, including governmental organizations like Ohio’s Department of Housing and Urban Development.  Other resources include:

Other useful cerebral palsy and disability-related resources in Ohio: