Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage Michigan Birth Injury Attorneys
Award-Winning Birth Injury Lawyers | Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage, Michigan Birth Injury Attorneys
No parents should have to witness a child suffering from a debilitating birth injury – especially one which was completely avoidable. Yet, unfortunately, it happens every day, in every city across the nation, including Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage, Michigan.
These beautiful cities in southwestern Michigan are home to tens of thousands of families. Battle Creek, also known as “cereal city,” is home to Kellogg Company, Post Cereals and Ralston Foods. It is the third largest city in Michigan and is home to the large medical system called Bronson Healthcare. Bronson Birth Place is a state of the art facility in which over a thousand babies are delivered each year. Most of the time, the babies are born healthy. Sometimes, however, something goes wrong during labor and delivery and a baby becomes injured, with permanent brain damage and / or other injuries.
There are a number of birth injuries that can occur near the time of delivery, ranging from mild to severe. They can be mental or cognitive in nature, like intellectual and developmental disabilities or learning disabilities. They can also be physical in nature, like cerebral palsy or Erb’s palsy. Often, children who sustain birth injuries will have a combination of both mental and physical disabilities.
Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage, Michigan Birth Injury Attorneys Discuss Causes of Birth Injuries
During childbirth, a baby and mother are very vulnerable to errors that can be made by nurses and physicians. Some medical errors that may occur include:
- A failure to identify a non-reassuring heart rate on the fetal monitor or other indicators that the baby may not be receiving enough oxygen, resulting in hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (birth asphyxia).
- Physician does not appropriately diagnose unusual presentations like breech or face presentation and / or allows prolonged pushing, causing head trauma or a brachial plexus injury such as Erb’s palsy (muscles in the upper arm and shoulder are injured and paralyzed).
- Errors in the use of delivery assistance devices such as forceps or vacuum extractors, which subsequently cause head trauma and brain bleeds which lead to permanent brain damage.
- A delay in ordering or performing an emergency C-section when warranted. Some conditions that may require a stat C-section include:
* Placental abruption – the placenta separates prematurely from the inner wall of the uterus;
* Placenta previa – placenta grows so close to the opening of the uterus that it may partially or completely block the cervix;
* Uterine rupture – the wall of the uterus tears open and the placenta and fetus spill into the mother’s abdomen.
- Failure to diagnose and treat infection in the mother which passes to the baby, causing serious neonatal infections such as:
* Meningitis – inflammation of the membranes around the brain and spinal cord from Group B Strep, Listeria or E. coli;
* Sepsis – infection triggers a whole-body inflammatory state;
* Encephalitis – an inflammation of the brain caused by a virus, most often herpes simplex virus (“genital herpes”).
Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage, Michigan Birth Injury Attorneys Helping Children for almost 3 Decades
Determining if a child’s injury was caused by a medical error during labor and delivery can be difficult and is generally not something that parents can do on their own. Medical records in birth injury cases are notoriously complex and require examination by qualified attorneys and their experts. An experienced birth injury attorney will have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly review a child’s medical records and determine if negligence played a role and whether a lawsuit is warranted.
Michigan birth injury attorney Jesse Reiter, co-founder of Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers, is currently recognized as one of the best medical malpractice attorneys in America by U.S. News and World Report 2015, which also recognized his firm as being one of the best in the country. In fact, U.S. News and World Report has given Jesse the honor of being one of the “Best Lawyers in America” every year since 2008. Jesse has also been named a top lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine for the last 6 years, and the magazine recently listed him as one of the 10 best attorneys in Michigan, as well as one of the 5 best Michigan consumer lawyers. In 2006, Jesse was named “Lawyer of the Year” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, and in 2012, the organization deemed him one of the “Leaders in the Law.” Jesse is a strong advocate of rights for birth injury victims, and he is involved in groups that help advance medical / legal issues and protect patients’ rights, such as the Michigan Association for Justice and the Birth Trauma Litigation Group.
If your child was injured at birth at a Battle Creek, Kalamazoo or Portage, Michigan-area hospital like Borgess Medical Center, Bronson, Bronson Methodist or elsewhere and you wonder if the injury was preventable, call the Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage Michigan birth injury attorneys at Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers for a free consultation. We will evaluate the medical records and determine if you have a case. Email or call us today: 888-419-2229. No fees are ever paid to our firm until we win your case.
Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage, Michigan Birth Injury Attorneys Talk about Birth Injuries such as Cerebral Palsy
Watch a video of the Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Portage Michigan birth injury attorneys at Reiter & Walsh discuss some common birth injuries such as cerebral palsy and hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE).