Yes. A baby is considered full term at about 39 weeks. When a baby is delivered prior to 37- 39 weeks, it is considered premature and poses some significant health risks such as respiratory or breathing problems, brain bleeds or hemorrhages, jaundice, infections, and cerebral palsy. It is a doctor’s responsibility to attempt to maintain the pregnancy for as long as possible with the goal of delivery at, or very near to, full-term. This allows the baby more time to fully develop and avoid complications.
Preventing Premature Delivery
There are a number of treatments that doctors may use in order to delay labor and premature birth. The most common include:
- Bed rest at home or in the hospital, lying on left side
- Hydration by drinking fluids or IV
- Medications to halt labor (e.g. Magnesium sulfate, brethine,)
- Progesterone hormone treatment
- Medication to help prevent infection
- Monitoring and evaluation of the baby through tests such as ultrasound, biophysical profile (BPP), non-stress test (NST), amniotic fluid volume index (AFI)
- Medications to help the baby’s lungs develop faster in case measures to prolong pregnancy fail to prevent preterm birth
Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers
Trusted Cerebral Palsy and Birth Injury Attorneys
If you are seeking the help of a cerebral palsy lawyer, it is very important to choose a lawyer and firm that focus solely on birth injury cases. Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers is a national birth injury law firm that has been helping children with birth injuries since the firm’s inception. Cerebral palsy lawyer Jesse Reiter, president of ABC Law Centers, has been focusing solely on birth injury cases since 1987, and most of his cases involve hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) and cerebral palsy. Partners Jesse Reiter and Rebecca Walsh are recognized as two of the best medical malpractice lawyers in America by U.S. News and World Report, which also recognizes ABC Law Centers as one of the best law firms in the country.
If your child was born prematurely and diagnosed with a birth injury such as cerebral palsy, the award-winning attorneys at ABC Law Centers can help. We have helped children throughout the country obtain compensation for lifelong treatment, therapy and a secure future, and we give personal attention to each child and family we represent. We have secured numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements that attest to our success. No fees are ever paid to our firm until we win your case.
Free Case Review | Available 24/7 | No Fee Until We Win
Call our toll-free phone line at 888-419-2229
Press the Live Chat button on your browser
Complete Our Online Contact Form
- PROM and Premature Birth
- Preventing Premature Birth
- Risks of Premature Birth
- Progesterone to Prevent Birth Injury
- Betamethasone to Prevent Birth Injury