Delivery Room Errors
DELIVERY ROOM ERROR ATTORNEYS AND BIRTH ERROR LAWYERS SERVING DETROIT, MICHIGAN, OHIO, WASHINGTON D.C., AND AROUND THE COUNTRY
At Reiter & Walsh, P.C., representing clients in Washington DC, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit, Cleveland, Toldeo, Columbus and throughout the rest of Michigan and Ohio, our dedicated birth injury lawyers represent victims of delivery errors every day. We are dedicated to helping clients obtain compensation for medical expenses and care to secure the future of their children.
Types of delivery errors
Having a baby is one of the most exciting and anticipated times in most people's lives. Sometimes, however, this happy time can turn tragic when medical errors cause permanent damage to an infant. While birth injuries can occur as a result of improper prenatal care, often they result from errors made in the delivery room by hospital staff, doctors or other health care professionals. Medical staff needs to consistently monitor a baby and mother during labor and delivery and, if problems arise, make quick and accurate decisions to ensure their safety. Sadly, this isn’t always the case.
Improper fetal monitoring, failure to take immediate action when problems occur, incorrect medications administered, improper use of delivery instruments, and failure to timely perform c-sections are some of the most common delivery room errors. Many times delivery room errors can be covered up by health care providers. The results of these errors, unfortunately, can be devastating and cause permanent injury to the newborn child. Some of the most common include:
- Brain damage as a result of a lack of oxygen to the baby (hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy or “birth asphyxia”)
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy or shoulder dystocia
- Forceps or vacuum injuries
- Untreated infection passed from mother to baby in the birth canal leading to meningitis or encephalitis
- Hematomas or brain bleeds
Proving delivery room errors
Discovering and understanding the complex events that took place in the delivery room and the resulting birth injury requires not only legal expertise but also solid medical knowledge. At Reiter & Walsh, we work with premiere neurologists, neuroradiologists, obstetricians, labor nurses, child development specialists, therapists, life care planners and more to identify delivery mistakes and negligence, and determine the exact cause of a child’s birth injury. We have solid legal skills in birth injury litigation and an impressive record of success to back it up.
Do I have a delivery room error case?
Representing clients throughout the states of Michigan and Ohio as well as Washington DC and around the nation, our Detroit-based birth injury attorneys will research your case, determine the cause of injury and find out whether or not it could have been prevented. If the hospital, physician, or staff was negligent, we will help you to obtain fair compensation. Even if the injury occurred years ago, you may still be able to pursue a lawsuit. Contact Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers located in the Detroit, Michigan-area, for a free consultation with birth injury lawyers who can effectively represent your case.
Related Articles and Blogs from Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers
- "Lack of information, late C-section and delivery room error results in child with developmental delays; Reiter & Walsh negotiate a $2.05 million settlement."
- "Large settlements offered to boys who suffered cerebral palsy as a result of medical staff failing to notice severe complications during labor."
- "For two days, physicians fail to diagnose and treat premature rupture of membranes and twin boys are born with permanent disabilities, including cerebral palsy."
- "Danger: Forceps and vacuum extractors can cause brain injury, says birth injury attorney.""Common delivery drug oxytocin (Pitocin) dangerous, says Michigan birth injury."
By Jesse Reiter