Birth Injury Attorneys Helping Families in Sterling Heights and Warren, Michigan
Sterling Heights and Warren, Michigan Birth Injury lawyer and cerebral palsy attorney
Despite medical advances made in obstetrics and pediatrics, birth injuries still occur today. In fact, it is estimated that about 28,000 birth injuries occur each year in the United States alone. This equates to about 2,333 per month or about 76 each day. And most tragically, many of these birth injuries are preventable -- due to negligent care by doctors, nurses or even midwives.
What are birth injuries?
Birth injuries are any number of physical problems that may occur to an infant before or during birth. There are many forms with varying degrees of severity. Some birth injuries can be temporary and mild such as light bruising, while other injuries are more severe and are lifelong. Below are several of the most common ones seen today:
- Bleeding in the brain or hemorrhages
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy (brachial plexus palsy)
- Brain damage from a lack of oxygen (hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy)
- Facial nerve damage
- Skull fractures, head compression/hemorrhage injuries
What causes birth injuries?
Birth injuries can result from labor and delivery errors as well as untreated or inappropriately treated pregnancy complications, such as:
· Failure to monitor the baby and or mother
· Failure to act upon changes in heart rate, oxygen levels, and other signs of fetal distress
· Improper use of forceps and vacuums
· Delay in ordering a C-section
· Pulling or twisting when delivering a baby
· Umbilical cord problems
· Placental problems
· Untreated or inappropriately treated pregnancy complications that lead to injury such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes and maternal infections
When to seek legal help
If you believe that your child was harmed due to an error during labor and delivery at St. John Macomb, St. John Providence, Henry Ford Macomb, or other hospital, you should seek legal help immediately. For Warren and Sterling Heights residents, the best option is Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers. Our firm handles only birth injury cases so we have a unique and deep understanding of this type of law. We will fight aggressively for the compensation that your child deserves. Call the experts at Reiter & Walsh ABC Law Centers at (888) 419- BABY or e-mail us to handle your Sterling Heights birth injury case.